Saturday, August 30, 2008

Vegas, Baby, Yeah?

Although I've out-wordly maintained that I was never really interested in going to Las Vegas, I have to admit that there has always been an element of mysterious glamour that I've conjured in my head at the mention of the place.

Well, folks, this past week I had my chance to see what I've been missing all of these years... the Vegas Virgin was popped!  Flying out on Monday afternoon, I arrived very late that night (despite the three hour time difference) due to a missed connection (thank you Continental!).  

First impressions... wow.  As in "Wow, I don't get it."  

I was there for MAGIC, which is one of the bigger trade shows in the US, and which apparently was attended by 40% fewer buyers than usual this year - hello Bush economy.

The show was great, but the evenings of "exploring" the city was not.  When we were walking along the strip, it reminded me of the Minnesota State Fair, except with southern accents and without the food on a stick.  There are no rules against smoking in most restaurants, and they do so with abandon.  To be fair, I didn't catch any of the shows, which I'm sure make the whole experience much better to the average visitor... 

One highlight: Caesar's Palace - The Forum Shops, which are beautiful halls full of high-end shops like Shanghai Tang, YSL, Dolce & Gabbana, and Chrome Hearts.  Very niiiice.

Next trip: Europe!    


No comments: