Sunday, September 7, 2008

What I do for Work

So I thought, since I talk so much about being busy at work, and have had so many friends ask about what I do every day lately, I'd take this opportunity to describe my job.

What do I do every day for work?

Well... that depends.  

I shop and read magazines and draw.  OK... maybe a bit more than that.

While it's true, I research fashion trends through leafing through magazines, I also check benchmark brands for they're latest and greatest pieces and themes; research fabrications, finishes, trims, and emerging manufacturing processes.  I think through, then create designs on our Auto-Cad based crappy design program and then do "hand-offs" with our Technical Team which are meetings that I set up to explain the designs and work through the expression of fit, design details, possible vendors, print processes (where applicable) and anticipated costing challenges.  I collaborate with our Quality Assurance teams for color and quality approvals, and our Textile Designers for graphic and print direction, our Product Managers for the execution of the apparel in work, and our Merchants for the actual order-writing and category tracking.  I conduct concept meetings for all teams, and collaborate with our Trend Director on translating her broad company-wide trends into these brands, specific to each market.

I shop our benchmark brands, our competition, and the market in general to get a gauge on what's selling, and what other retailers believe in.  I create boards that reflect the concept of each delivery, and evolve these boards at different points in the process to reflect our changes and modifications, adds and substitutions... I attend shows (NY, Las Vegas, LA) for print, trend, and color.

I do this for three brands right now, but have helped with branding several others since starting  5 months ago.  

This is what keeps me busy at work, and no day is the same.  I love designing, I get paid to build and maintain relationships.

On that note, I will be taking off for my overseas trip, which I do twice a year - once in fall and once in spring.  I'll travel with 4 other people.  This will be almost the smallest group that I've been with over to Europe (with the exception of the very first time, when it was just Gene Meyer and me in Paris, and then me and Jason Dworshak in Turkey).  This time it'll be Paris, Barcelona, London, Amsterdam and then to Hong Kong.  I'll be gone between the 14th-28th.

That's it for now, have to get ready for the trip, but I'll take pictures and post when I can on the road.  Miss all...

1 comment:

FQM said...

I know your trip will be busy but I hope you get to relax & enjoy a little bit! Love you my sweet H!
~F