Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Charleston lessons and Current stuff

A friend of mine, whom shall remain nameless, but whose name rhymes with Baya, let me know that my blog had grown tiresome.  This, I believe, was not an opinion, but a statement of fact, because at this time during the year, there is such an oppressive heat/humidity here that it literally permeates everywhere/everything (including, in this case, one's mind - namely mine).  

So... I'm picking up a slower way of doing things, which seemingly includes keeping up communications.  But I'll try to remedy that in some small way tonight.

In the last week, Elizabeth came to visit - She flew in Tuesday and stayed through Saturday morning.  We rallied and meandered around the Verizon Amphitheater for  Linkin Park concert on Tuesday (opened by Chris Cornell, who played Rusty Cage, one of my top 10 songs of all time, as the last number... AWESOME).  For this, we stood, sat, sweated in the sun at up to 106 degrees for over 7 hours.  Not the smartest thing on earth, but we were very well hydrated at least.

I had been to the Snoop Dog/311 concert the week before so I had a general idea of what to expect...

The day after the Linkin Park event we toddled off to Charleston which is about three hours away and reeeaaally humid in August I might add.  The highlights were checking out the artisans on Market Street, the sweet grass baskets of the Geesha (sp?), and going through the Old Slave Mart Museum on Chalmers Street. I naively had never read paperwork describing the "sale" of a person.  It was surprisingly simple, and deeply disturbing.  Lis and I talked about it on the way out of town... how the whole city seemed heavy... that there was a heavy history you could physically feel in Charleston.  Interesting, foreign, and sad.

Upon returning to Charlotte, we decided to stay indoors.  We were immediately at peace with that decision.  Ahhhh, beautiful coolness.

After my gorgeous friend went home, I spent the weekend treating Hogan for his hotspots, by washing, shaving, and medicining the poor pup.  Vet appointment on Friday...

Lots going on at work, and have inherited another contemporary brand, so I'm excited about the increased opportunity as well as challenged with being the new design layer which has been welcomed by some and understandably questioned by some (not personally, of course).

Traveling a lot soon.  New York, Las Vegas (pending), Europe/Asia: Paris, London, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and then over to Hong Kong. Week after that LA.  Then Minneapolis for Zaih's birthday.  Yey!!  

Sleepy time.  N' night!

 

No comments: