Thursday, October 23, 2008

YES - I VOTED

I earned the "Yes - I Voted" sticker today, and had an interesting hour and a half-long chat with a woman who identified herself as evangelical christian (in fact she works for Billy Graham), and was as gentle as she was scared. 

In this go-round, and being as I'm in a swing-state, I have been playing the talk show host.  Ever curious, I'm asking lots of questions of people.  I want to know about their lives, their fears, their hopes and their choices.  So I ask.

And you'd be surprised how willing people are to share, if you're open to listen...

Jill didn't know if she could trust either camp with her concerns about the economy.  She shared that growing up, finances were the only thing her parents fought about, and that she in turn had avoided the topic altogether.

I don't think she's alone.

Mid-way into the conversation, I shared that I had avoided talking about money too until just the past five years or so, but that it was much less scary when I started asking questions.  This segued into being scared in general and I shared that Obama and his team give me hope.  

The line to vote was long. It was 1:20pm and the line stretched down rows of books, through the Steele Creek library. I was happy to see it.    


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

OMG you look like your MOM in the picture of you and V. For a second I thought I was looking at a picture of Mom at the same age. Other than Dad's nose eveything looks like Mom.....
oh...and so beautiful too ...and with brains and opinions...a definate catch all the way!
love you!
sam