Sunday, June 8, 2008

Creative Inspiration found!

Taking the lessons learned earlier this week, I ran out to Home Depot and purchased a Dremmel and other various ageing instruments for summer denim projects.  Then, yesterday, Darla, a designer friend from work, and I headed out to the monthly flea market at the Metrolina Expo.  Boy, did it bring me back to the days of exploring the flea market on the way to Cumberland with Grams in Wisconsin.  Those were great memories... of curiosities, friendly older faces, junk, and personal treasures.  

It reached about 100 degrees yesterday, and most of the vendors we visited during our 6 hours there were outside.  Honestly, it wasn't too bad.  The heat was there, but the feeling of being surrounded by "possibilities" was thicker.  I picked up about 30 antique drawer pulls... one group from a guy who said he bought it from a woman who had collected them for over 30 years.  I imagine many collectors have to decide now between carrying on their collections or selling them, to pay for the rising cost of gas and food.  I am at once sorry and grateful to be able to give these pieces a new life.  

Outside of my passion for looking through heaps of "stuff" to find pieces that inspire me, I love chatting with the folks who run their booths.  These are entrepreneurs.  So many just listen to what people are looking for, and then go out and find it to sell it.  Hear them tell it, it's the most natural thing in the world to acquire things, and then haul those things around weekend after weekend selling who-knows-what to who-knows-who.  Some of those folks are clearly more attached to their "things", which is a quality I understand.  

One couple was selling things from their childhood, like a garage sale.  I picked up two empty gilded frames and a coaster set for $3 total.  Darla bought a pie safe for $50.  The gentleman and his wife were glad to be rid of "junk that just sat in our garage, taking up room", and we were virtually dancing to the truck with our newfound belongings.

We liked our day so much, we are going to try to go every month!  Fun!!!
  


No comments: